Will Chamberlain's Vermont

News and Commentary about Vermont from Yesteryear

Name:
Location: Vermont, United States

Friday, March 03, 2006

Welcome to Will Chamberlain's Vermont

Hello Vermont,

I am William Chamberlain, famous Revolutionary War hero, Green Mountain Boy, former Lt. Governor and Congressman from Vermont. I guess you could say I was one of Vermont's "founding fathers".

As strange as it may seem to some, I have awoken from my long slumber (178 years to be exact) as wormbait, awoken by a long and terrible rumbling, causing me great disturbance.

I have awoken to find Vermont a strange, almost foreign place unworthy of its former self and unrecognizable to those of us who establised it.

In my day, your scribe would have had to write on parchment with a quill pen in hopes his message could arrive to its destination in six weeks. I have awoken to find that people punch keys on these funny looking boxes they call "computers" to communicate messages.

My, my, the things that I have missed. The last day of my life, before I came back of course, people were still riding horseback great distances. The modern world has technology the people of my day could not have imagined or fathomed, but we would have never guessed that such advancement would have produced such modern oddity.

So, since I'm here, I'm going to learn how to use this modern technology and have decided to create my own "blog" to comment on the state of affairs here in Vermont. I am slowly discovering what the disturbances were that had me so restless in the grave.

I will post these commentaries, and may even have something they call "features" like comments on the media or on politicians that purport to call themselves "Statesman". I hope Vermonters will come to appreciate Vermont from one of those who can tell you what we founders intended her to be...and how far it seems to have gone away from what we envisioned.

Here's my profile from the Political Graveyard:

Chamberlain, William (1755-1828) — of Vermont. Born in Hopkinton, Middlesex County, Mass., April 27, 1755. Served in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War; member of Vermont state house of representatives, 1785, 1787-96, 1805, 1808; delegate to Vermont state constitutional convention, 1791, 1814; member of Vermont Governor's Council, 1796-1803; Presidential Elector for Vermont, 1800; U.S. Representative from Vermont 3rd District, 1803-05, 1809-11; Lieutenant Governor of Vermont, 1813-15. Died in Peacham, Caledonia County, Vt., September 27, 1828. Interment at Peacham Cemetery, Peacham, Vt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home